1 Day Workshop in Napier
22nd of August 2019
Chronic and treatment resistant depression has evaded for some time the reach of therapeutic change, yet with the advent of the Cognitive Behavioral Analysis System of Psychotherapy-CBASP, this has changed. This is a treatment designed to the very specific psychopathology of chronic depression, which relies on systematic personal therapist involvement and a specific strategy of confronting the patient with their interpersonal failures. Thus, this training will provide you with some tools and techniques to deal with the often overpowering challenges of the very hopeless and generalized stances of these clients („nothing will help me“). The treatment uses a very structured approach to these clients and has been proven effective in larger clinical randomized trials.
- Background on aspects of cognitive-emotional development (via Piaget) and their relevance to chronic depressive clients.
- Some aspects of diagnostic issues around chronic depression with differentiation of Dysthymia, Double Depression, Major depression or Recurrent Depressive Disorder
- Introduction to central treatment strategies of CBASP model: A uniquely structured process of “Situational Analysis” to challenge and change interpretations and behavioural responses
- Differential Interpersonal Discrimination Exercise (IDE) to challenge the transference interactions of clients
- Personal therapist involvement as a way to deal with the interpersonal stimulus of these clients and share with them in a novel way their often-problematic interpersonal effects
Intention of Workshop:
Provide you with some good understanding of the unique challenges and cognitive-emotional qualities of these clients and some proven and fun ways to help these clients recover from their often-longstanding depressive state.
Tobias Schulze, Clinical Psychologist: I received post graduate training in CBT and was licensed as psychological psychotherapist in Germany. Working many years in MH inpatient units I have developed a focus in my work on treating Personality Disorders and specifically on Narcissistic PD, as well as recurrent and chronic mental health conditions. I work from an integrative perspective combining Schema Therapy, ACT and psychodynamic understanding.
Venue: Hawke’s Bay Club, 53 Marine Parade, Napier 4110
Times: 9 am to 5 pm
Catering: full catering provided (morning lunch, tea) for all dietary needs
Fee: $365 - early bird available until 31st of May, after that $425. Credit card payments possible but will incur a $15 surcharge.
Registration: Please register at talktherapy.co.nz, your registration will only be final once the full fee has been received. All cancellations 30 days or less before the event cannot be reimbursed, but you are free to transfer your spot to a person of your choice.