Applications are still open for the University of Otago
- Certificate in Health Sciences Endorsed in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (COBE401). This is a pre-requisite paper to the Diploma level paper. This is a full year paper.
The Course Fees for the CBT paper are funded by Te Pou (Skills Matter-MOH workforce development agency) through University of Otago. (No need to apply to Te Pou).
As the course fees are funded, beyond meeting University of Otago enrolment requirements, applicants must also meet the following criteria to apply:
- Be a registered health professional working in a mental health setting, with a minimum of two years' clinical experience
- Employed by a District Health Board OR a Ministry of Health funded NGO or Primary Health Organisation
- Working at least 0.6 FTE in a mental health setting and must have access to ongoing work with clients
- Applicants must be New Zealand citizen OR hold a Permanent Residency Permit/Visa (Certified copy of proof of Perm/Resident visa required)
- Applicants are also required to have individual supervision by a Clinical Psychologist with expertise in CBT (download Supervisor Info Sheet)
- Applicants must have access to ongoing work with clients during the course year
- Applicants must have prior approval/support from their service manager (download Manager Info Sheet)
Attached please see: Brochures and important information for managers and applicants
Please note: The paper is a full year course, requiring students to attend three 5 day block teaching weeks, with the first block (mid-March) being taught in person out of Wellington.
Initial Enrolment is in two phases:
Complete phase one of the University of Otago online enrolment. We recommend applicants use Chrome or Edge Browser for this process.
To commence phase one of enrolment go to: https://www.otago.ac.nz/postgraduate/subjects/cobe.html
IMPORTANT: Tips Below to assist you with the online University enrolment application process once you click the link.
- In the Ready to enrol box click the dropdown and be careful to select the correct Qualification. Please remember this paper is Wellington registered.
- Please Select: Postgraduate Certificate in Health Sciences (PGCertHealSci) Wellington 2024.
- Click Apply - If New to Otago select Create an account or if you are a Returning Otago student use the login option.
Make sure you select - Postgraduate Certificate in Health Sciences qualification and then also select the endorsement - Cognitive Behaviour Therapy.
If you require assistance with this process, please contact askOtago Admissions helpline 0800 80 80 98.
Once you have completed phase one of University of Otago enrolment, Admissions will check that you qualify for a postgrad paper, and then notify our CBT Admin team in Wellington.
CBT Admin will send you a link for our CBT Verification Form. (If you complete phase one of enrolment and do not hear from CBT Admin within two weeks please email firstname.lastname@example.org)
As there is a clinical component to the CBT course we require all applicants to complete and submit their online Verification form with the relevant documents by 31st October, 2023. This will ensure that your application is considered.
- Notification of Application outcomes will be sent to applicants sometime in Mid-December or earlier if possible.
- If your application is successful you will be invited to continue with Phase Three and complete Formal University enrolment.
- Once Formal University enrolment is complete, funding is arranged by the University directly with Te Pou (no further application required)